Raunds to Get Saturday Market Trial

The Town Councils Environment and Leisure committee met recently to consider ways in which additional stalls and footfall could be attracted to Raunds Market.

The recent Raunds Town Voice market online Facebook poll had shown that a Saturday market may be well supported by local residents.

Of the 397 people who responded to the poll; 342 (86%) voted that a Saturday would be easier to attend, 55 (14%) voted that they’d rather the Friday market with 14 of the overall respondents (4%) also contesting that they need Saturday parking on the Square

Following discussion, it was agreed to trial a Saturday market for three months, April, May, June.

In order to attract stalls to the market there would be no pitch fees for the first three months, in order to attract further footfall, the Town Council will put entertainment on during the market, this might be a children’s entertainer, singer or other acts.

It was agreed that the dates of the market should not clash with Higham or Oundle’s farmers markets and the marketing activity will take place to attract additional stalls to the market.

Priority will be given to existing stall holders.

Let us know your thoughts in the comments below

17 thoughts on “Raunds to Get Saturday Market Trial

• Lesley Cleghorn
    13th February 2019 at 5:51 pm

Where’s the “doesn’t matter either way … now I no longer can come to Raunds to do my banking I just get what I need from town centres with banks” option?

• Lesley Cleghorn
      14th February 2019 at 7:55 am

Howard Payne I agree …. but I still need to bank cheques and cash from the business

• Lee Wilkes
      14th February 2019 at 1:54 pm

Lesley Cleghorn remember you can pay cheques and cash into most major banks via the Post Office. They don’t charge, just takes an extra day to clear. Easy to do and helps keep a local Post Office open.

• Lesley Cleghorn
      14th February 2019 at 5:42 pm

Lee Wilkes I do … but as I live in Stanwick I use the post office there …. haven’t used Raunds town centre since Nat West closed 🤷‍♂️

• Oliver Curtis
      17th February 2019 at 4:12 pm

Lesley Cleghorn you can pay cheques in via mobile banking apps. The app takes a picture and after a few days the money will appear in your account. I’ve done this on Lloyds and Halifax apps. Keep the cheque as a record just in case.

• 13th February 2019 at 6:12 pm

Brilliant news, let’s hope more market traders will atyend, I will definitely be there

• Sarah Carter
    13th February 2019 at 6:36 pm

That’s brilliant. Now can we have a wider variety of stalls now please!! X

• Carol Anne Ross
    13th February 2019 at 7:47 pm

Plenty of local towns have farmers markets on a Saturday, surely our current stalls could be incorporated into something along those lines, local farm shops might consider a stall. Reasonable rates and helpfulness all round would make a difference. Some incentives!!!

• 15th February 2019 at 7:33 pm

I don’t mind Friday or Saturday personally, but the few current stalls don’t interest me overly much.
    If a Saturday market attracted more stalls, that would be great and encourage more people, inc. me, to attend. A farmers market would be of more interest to me than general stuff you can get anywhere.