Does Raunds have a Crime Problem?

Mike Turner says: “Over the last few weeks there certainly seems to be a sense that crime is on the up in Raunds or is it just me?

Between the reports of

• Vehicle thefts
  • Suspicious vehicles driving around
  • Damage of a public CCTV camera
  • Newly planted trees snapped
  • The strong smells of Cannabis very close to Windmill school as well as wafting up your noise as you walk down spinney hill
  • Anti-social behaviour
  • The horrific animal attacks
  • A serious safeguarding incident involving a child of one of our schools.
  • Not to mention the towns very dangerous squirrel who is damaging gardens by hiding its nuts

I’ve seen even more comments about car windows and windscreens being smashed, mopeds riding around with illegal exhausts disturbing children trying to go to sleep.

Is this just an unusual spike, normal and we’re just communicating things better, are the god punishing us for Henge-gate or is this a sign of things to come in Raunds if something isn’t done?

I’ve read comments about ‘The Mere’ (the area of the animal attack) being a location associated with drug dealing, I’ve also heard many complaints about the town drug problem as well as the frustration about the lack of police presence we generally have in our growing town

I tried to get comment from the police over the course of this week.  I asked for more information about the child safeguarding incident earlier and whether there was a risk of the same incident reoccurring to other children (given the lack of any other information) and was provided with the below by PCSO Tim Butter:

“I am aware of a child safeguarding incident (which happens daily in Northamptonshire) which involves a pupil at Windmill School, I am happy to discuss child safeguarding in general at any time with you.

Police stats show that children are at far more risk with people they know than risk from strangers, FACT.

Northants Police are rolling out a county wide Blue Butterfly scheme to ALL primary schools that want it.

I have personally held workshops to EVERY class in STANWICK PRIMARY & THE PRIMARY next to manor school.”

I asked further specific questions regarding whether there was a drug problem in Raunds and what the police were doing but the only comment was:

“I would suggest you sign up for free on our new neighbourhood alert;

www.northamptonshireneighbourhoodalert.co.uk

Our website www.northants.police.uk will contain new press releases

And finally you sign up to the  @Northantspolice twitter feed as well.”

I’ve seen comments such as:

Tell me again how great our Town is now its getting much bigger

Raunds was a lovely little place to live in. I don’t know what’s happened but it not the same anymore. Incidents like this were unheard of. It should never have been developed the way it has. Raunds as we knew it no longer exist…or am I just imagining that there is a problem and our town is within the average ‘statistics’ for towns like ours?”

In order to provide some balanced perspective with regards to current crime levels in Raunds, we’ve downloaded a police data set as far back as March 2015. Whilst there is a lot of data, we’ve created a monthly average figure for each year to do a year by year comparison.

The trouble with the above stats is that we’re only comparing 2 months of 2018 with full years for previous years (and only 10 months for 2015).

So let’s limit the data to remove 2015 and limit to only comparing Jan and Feb across all 3 years

What do these stats tell us when compared 2017?

• There is an overall reduction in the reporting / recording of crime in Raunds
  • Increases in:
    • Violence and Sexual Offences (up by 8%)
    • Criminal damage and arson (up 75%)
    • Drugs (up over 300%)
    • Theft from the person
  • Decreases in:
    • Anti-social behaviour (down by 44%)
    • Burglary (down by 54%)
    • Other crime (down by 50%)
    • Other theft (down by 33%)
    • Public order (down by 75%)
    • Shoplifting (down by 100%)

So what do you all think? – let us know in your comments

• Does Raunds need more police presence?
  • Do we have a problem that needs solving?
  • How do we solve the problem?
  • How much other criminal activity have we simply not even heard about recently?
  • How much of the problem is related to the lack of Youth Centre or similar facilities for our young adults?
  • Is the town simply getting too big and we need to accept it?
  • How much of an impact is being caused by a lack of government funding?

50 thoughts on “Does Raunds have a Crime Problem?

• Andrea Saunderson
    27th April 2018 at 7:54 pm

I moved here 6 years ago and I love it but I have seen a change in that short time, council don’t seem listen to the residents and how they feel, i.e new housing and how the town is going to cope and wrath park development, just seems it’s all about money but it doesn’t seem to be helping the town I’ve come to call home
    So sad ?

• Marion Hind
      28th April 2018 at 12:26 pm

Unfortunately the town council can only voice objections to new builds etc, it is all down to the district council.

• Andrea Saunderson
      28th April 2018 at 2:52 pm

I pay over £200 a month council tax, for what?
      Roads are a mess, no police, bins emptied once a fortnight, I don’t feel I am getting anything for it
      If I stopped paying my council tax I would be taken to court, I can’t do that with the council, annoying really

• Derek Archer
    27th April 2018 at 8:12 pm

Mopeds riding over tiger field. The vans that drive up and down the same road a few times a day. The drug deals going on in the square, outside windmill school,in the street on grombold, yeah I’d say it’s got worse. The cuts means we never see police here though unless they are needed as we are far away from any station so of course it’s going to get worse.

• Terry Jax Hillier
    27th April 2018 at 8:15 pm

I moved here from a London borough almost 7 years ago and the town of Raunds is changing dramatically. The roads are extremely busy and (I live on the London Road) because of the sheer volume of cars and lorries too, the water pipes under the road are always being repaired by Anglia water. The gas company now has got to make huge changes to their pipes under the road because of the heavy lorries. Warth park constantly hold threats over us too because they want to build on the land and we are losing our open spaces. There has been some dreadful crimes being committed lately. My neighbour had his caravan stolen and the police have not been to investigate. My cat and neighbours cats have been run over and killed and I could go on and on. Basically we are fast becoming like a London borough!

• Tom Leggate
    27th April 2018 at 8:27 pm

For anyone that has lived in Raunds for a while or was born and bred in the town and knows the town it’s pretty obvious that it’s on a downward spiral in many ways. It’s not the lovely, small town anymore where everyone knew everyone. It’s changed so much in a short space of time. It’s not looking good for the future I’m afraid. Just drive down the high street any time and it’s plain to see. Times have changed, parenting has changed, everything has changed and not for the better. It’s a worrying time and I really do worry about what is in store for the town and the younger generations in it.
    Times really have changed folks. How some people can call themselves patents is beyond me, you haven’t got a clue. Can’t blame the younger generation because it’s learnt behaviour from their parents, they don’t know any different or better. Attempted child abduction, animal mutilatiion, beastiali , drugs, we’ve got it all. The end of Raunds “Town” as we know it.

• Alison Jane Barrable
    27th April 2018 at 8:44 pm

We moved here from Rushden 4 years ago and whilst i feel it is a slightly safer place for our children it is steadily getting worse with the disrespectful kids and teenagers. Drugs is a problem especially the blatant smoking of cannabis in the street. The lack of Police is a huge problem.
    I dont know whether this would be possible but when my husband was a Police Officer in Bedfordshire some villages paid to have a Police Officer patrol on foot in their village. It was a great success so was wondering whether that would be feasable or viable to do this in Raunds. I know we pay our Council tax but Im sure the majority of residents wouldnt mind paying a bit extra if they knew they would get a dedicated Police Officer.

• Luke Tuson
      28th April 2018 at 10:55 pm

Majority of people are on the dole love and don’t pay council tax. Last thing people won’t is the old bill going about the place, how will dealers make a living and put food on the table lol

• Alison Jane Barrable
      28th April 2018 at 11:31 pm

Luke Tuson i hope you are being sarcastic as you are wrong. The majority of Raunds residents work or are retired. It is the minority scumbags that bring the Town down to their level with their petty criminal behaviour.
      Raunds is a great little place spoilt by a few that cant be bothered to work or think the world owes them a living.

• Rob Dunlop
    27th April 2018 at 8:46 pm

Raunds is turning into Rushden basically…..it was once lovely. Now its horrible…

• Alison Bond
      28th April 2018 at 7:14 am

Thats because the Raunds slags are bringing them over here from there..its not particularly our Raunds lads most of them are alright..plastic gangsters mate

• Piers Kirk
    27th April 2018 at 9:13 pm

The smell of cannabis is constant lol what ever happened to the smell of manouer lol

• Steph Bayley
    27th April 2018 at 9:47 pm

It does seem that there is a lot more going on. I moved here 10 years ago from Kettering and felt a real difference in safety. Not so much now.
    We need a proper Police presence. And we need it during crucial times, such as evenings into night.

• Carl Watson
    27th April 2018 at 10:20 pm

It’s not just Raunds it’s everywhere, society is breaking down, there is no sense of common purpose or direction within the country, the ties that once bound us together have been eroded and now when we look around us we no longer see our strong homogenic community that follows common values but a nation fractured in to many polarised groups 🙁

• Clare Louise Ryan
    27th April 2018 at 10:40 pm

Theres nothing wrong with Raunds its just the handful of individuals that taint it the majority of people are good.

• Gavin Kirk
    28th April 2018 at 12:15 am

Beggers are in the street and asda never should be allowed in a small town, but if your thinking of giving them money, don’t cause all you doing is feeding thier habit give the money to homeless charities where it will do more good

• Sharon Triner
    28th April 2018 at 6:26 am

I moved here just over 2 years ago. I’ve noticed things have got worse since then but I also know that the small town I came from is experiencing the same kind of things unfortunately. I think it’s happening everywhere. However I live near a pub & have children who we have seen drug deals right in front of our house (not connected with the pub), people that let their dogs blatantly crap in front of our house, people hanging out of the clothes charity bin stealing what they can & blokes that are at the pub pissing up the wall cos they can’t walk the 20 seconds it would take to go to the toilet. All this whilst I have to try to usher my children away from seeing this from their own home. People have just lost the respect for each other which is a shame

• James Mccormick
    28th April 2018 at 7:54 am

Cracks me up people moaning about how bad Raunds is, after growing up in Newcastle this is a walk in the park.

• James Lees
    28th April 2018 at 8:02 am

My good friend lives in Raunds and says it’s going downhill. If a nice little place like that isn’t safe from Scum then what chance have the likes of me in Bradford got. Time to reclaim the streets like vigilante groups in america.

• Irene Chapman
    28th April 2018 at 2:28 pm

Its the lack of policing i lived in a beautiful village upmarket now that is the same not just raunds wake up everybody no police aroubd more crime !!

• Chris Richens
    28th April 2018 at 4:44 pm

I was born and bred in Raunds and drugs has always been a problem. It’s just people don’t hide it anymore because there is no enforcement on it really. The problem of drugs has always been there it’s just been more hidden than it is now. All the other crime is what has changed because I can remember being 8 or 9 and going trick or treating safely in a group and there be the whole town out aswell and it was safe and happy but now you couldn’t walk to the shop to get some sweets without hearing sirens or seeing a smashed window or people fighting. I’m so glad I have moved away.

• Keith Dickens
    28th April 2018 at 8:57 pm

Lots of areas in Raunds which are well known for the use of drugs but for some reason the police or council don’t seem to know about them. The bigger the town gets the bigger the problem will be, authorities are not interested one bit.

• Luke Tuson
    28th April 2018 at 10:47 pm

Welcome to Raunds always was a shit hole since I was at school there. Scum bag teenagers in the town square till late at night in there cars smoking weed listening to loud Brum and bass and having a good time. All part of the Raunds feel of things.. fuck it let them get on with it. Shit town shit people lol

• John Mills
    29th April 2018 at 10:01 am

Who knows, I’ll make enquiries at the local Police Station, I believe it’s near to one of the Banks in town!

• John Mills
    29th April 2018 at 10:07 am

The huge amounts of new housing in Raunds is not by accident, it is part of deliberate EU policy to improve ‘diversity’ in our community. The same thing is happening in every small town in England.

• Jonathan Croxon
    29th April 2018 at 12:55 pm

Street marshals are a good idea… if anyone can stump up the cash. Easy to impliment. Cost effective and with the right backing and support make the town safer