Raunds Nisa Charging for Carrier Bags Now

Anon says: “I just went to my local Nisa store on Grove street and was surprised to have been charged 5p for a bag.

I go to the store very regularly and have never been charged for this before until today.

I wonder if this is because shops, as of today, are no longer allowed to apply surcharges for card payments (which they used to) and now trying to claw money back another way?

I’m not normally surprised to be charged for a carrier bag, but I am at a corner shop!

Do other shops in Raunds charge for bags (other than Coop/Asda?) or now planning to?

After a little bit of research it does appear that it is likely that the 5p charge will be introduced to all small businesses (although not just yet). Example recent article from BBC click here

47 thoughts on “Raunds Nisa Charging for Carrier Bags Now

• 13th January 2018 at 3:21 pm

I thought it was on the news that the 5p charge was extended to all shops, not just those with 250+ employees

• 13th January 2018 at 4:49 pm

Most people that pop into the local shops don’t come out empty handed and don’t pop in to just browse not like a big superstore so should really go prepared..

• 13th January 2018 at 8:02 pm

I heard on the radio the other day that shop who employed under 200 people didn’t have to charge for carrier bags, but they now do!?! Correct me if I’m wrong!! ?

• 13th January 2018 at 9:05 pm

It’s time the paper carrier bags came back. The roadsides are awash with plastic of all kinds.

• 13th January 2018 at 10:32 pm

I really do wish everyone would just accept this needs to happen. We are killing this planet with plastic… Everything that is wrapped.. Shrink wrapped, put in a plastic bag carrier or otherwise is completely unnecessary… This has only happened since the 1970… This stuff is toxic and you don’t NEED it it’s just convenient… What’s more stop having a go at the poor people in shops that are being tasked by the government to stop the overuse… Everyday at work someone complains… It’s not fair… Think before you go shopping and take a reusable bag with you like my grandma always did or just pay up without complaining… It’s you that’s forgetful not the poor person behind the till. ????

• 13th January 2018 at 11:47 pm

I agree. It’s not really that hard to take a bag with you when you get groceries.

• 14th January 2018 at 10:03 am

All the carrier bags of the major supermarket chains were biodegradable types years before the 5p charge was introduced. Now they charge 5p and have switched back to the cheaper non biodegradable plastic.
      There are many ways to solve the plastic problem, the fact that they choose not to solve it but instead to make money off it tells you it’s a screw job

• 14th January 2018 at 10:13 am

The money from the big stores is all donated to their charity… Why do people always make out they are so hard done by… I look forward to seeing you all in the plastic free Isle at the supermarket which is being set up… All of the plastic and other packaging that has been added…. On the whole because “we don’t want someone else to touch what we buy” is totally unacceptable, I unpacked the shopping when I got home today and threw away a carrier bag of outer wrapping that didn’t need to be there and I had just paid for it as it is all incorporated into the cost of the goods… We were far better at being reusable 50 years ago than we are now

• 14th January 2018 at 10:22 am

Only 80% goes to charity even if the stores all donate the full amount which I am sceptical about.
      20% VAT goes to the government on all the bags sold.
      It’s not saving the environment it’s lining the government’s pocket once again.
      Those making the legislation could have mandated paper bags or biodegradable bags. No they chose to take more of your money instead.
      ITS A SCREW JOB

• 14th January 2018 at 10:49 am

Anything a business buys/sells 20% goes to the government, I don’t know why you object to that, the country could run without it so don’t be making VAT into an issue, it’s a given. Therefore of the available leftover money 100% goes to charity…. Paper bags are no better as we have to chop the trees down we need to deal with the carbon dioxide… We have to move to reusable everything. what makes you say the bags are not biodegradable? Interested to know?

• 15th January 2018 at 12:28 am

Well i believe in the charge ,in fact it should be higher at least 50p or even a quid to ensure people do the right thing ??? But i thought the charge was to offset the use of plastic IE. Pay towards the safe removal/recycling of plastics ???

• 15th January 2018 at 9:27 am

The charge was to deter shoppers from wanting bags, it has been very successful, however I agree 5p is not enough to deter most people

• 13th January 2018 at 10:45 pm

All shops will have to charge for them soon anyway. Best idea is to buy the folding nylon bags from the co-op – they cost £1 – and they are small enough to fit into a handbag or pocket. For places like Nisa, the charge for using a card is not a rip off, it is just they get high charges from the card provider. So it wouldn’t surprise me if they started to refuse cards altogether, as they have a cash machine. Which is exactly what the banks don’t want, but they make it so expensive for small traders to take cards.

• 15th January 2018 at 9:30 am

So have the banks stopped charging the retailers or the retailer can’t pass the charge on? If the latter the price of goods will go up to cover it across the board so we will end up paying it somewhere, you just won’t see it.

• 14th January 2018 at 9:49 pm

It was announced on TV over the weekend that All shops must now charge 5p per bag now by law. To help cut down on plastic etc

• 15th January 2018 at 7:21 am

My only surprise is that anyone is still expecting to use plastic bags for free.