Political Raunds

PoliticsKevin Hunt says:

“So, Raunds has a majority Conservative Council and I believe that a new Councillor has been elected to the vacant position.

How has it worked out that the Conservative Councillors elected a Labour member to the post instead of their own Conservative Candidate?

Do the Council really put the interests of the town first or is there something else going on here?”

11 thoughts on “Political Raunds

• 11th June 2014 at 10:35 pm

The council elected Pauline Ellis aka Ladybird a stalwart of the town not a conservative

• 11th June 2014 at 10:50 pm

I am a voice for Raunds first…and the Town Council should not be political at this level, how can politics come into drains, graves and doggy bins!!

• 11th June 2014 at 11:10 pm

I have never known anything like this before. I have 14 consecutive years experience on the Town council `1997-2011. without any trouble being caused . I worked hard for the Raunds people as well they know I was even the Chairman (Now called Mayor) and again ploitics should never, never come down to this level. Who out there agrees with me?

• 12th June 2014 at 12:55 am

Pauline, if it isn’t about politics, why does your Facebook home screen have a picture of you and Red Ed on it. I think Kevin Hunt has a point, if the people living in Raunds made the effort to vote for the Tories, why have the Tory Council elected a Labour counselor, surely the public would have voted that way if they wanted it.

• 12th June 2014 at 8:10 am

Pauline has been a part of the council for years. Co-option is designed to bring people on board that have something to contribute regardless of political colour. Congratulations Pauline!

• 12th June 2014 at 9:52 am

Town Council is about what’s good for the town and should not be political councillors maybe members of a political party its what you do or don’t do for the town that matters not what colour badge you wear

• 12th June 2014 at 10:15 am

Pauline, I have known you for many years and your passion for the town is beyond question, but even at local level politics comes into it. Remember that most Councillors (who are elected by the residents of Raunds), are only in the fortunate position they are in because they have been elected by the People, and the People elected them because of the political party they represent – they shouldn’t be so quick to assume they no longer need the public support. As an example of where local politics is important, it was a local Conservative Councillor ( Helen Howell) who was the one who stood up and spoke in support of the Rushden Lakes Development Appeal. She spoke passionately on behalf of Raunds but was backed and supported fully by the Conservative Party, and has continued to campaign with the Conservatives on the subject ever since. I don’t understand why local Town Councillors who believe that politics has nothing do to with local Council (and are therefore dismissing the public who put them there in the first place) don’t stand as Independents.

• 13th June 2014 at 11:38 am

I’m happy that Mum Pauline Ellis has regained her seat that she lost 3 yrs ago… I lost mine after 12 yrs of loyalty on Raunds town council!! But excepted that our town had become blue!! There are now 3 long standing reds who have the knowledge of our town… But I may add when I won my seat back in 1999 the council was non political and so much more was done!!

• 13th June 2014 at 11:50 am

I have lived in raunds for 47 years and have seen many town Council members come and go. in All the time i have been able to vote i have never voted by party but on the merits of the person/persons standing for election . The political party in a town does not make that town the place it is it is the people who do !!!